Click here for a downloadable list of benefits
Representing physicians and their patients in the Legislature, the courts, and to regulators
- Laws, litigation, and voter initiatives to create and preserve moderate malpractice insurance rates while ensuring proper compensation for injured patients
- Limiting the scope of practice of various practitioners based on their level of training/education
- Eliminating unfair business practices against physicians and patients
- Preserving physician authority over clinical decision making in health care settings
- Promoting good public health policy (examples: motorcycle and bicycle helmets; smoking bans; childhood immunization requirements)
Public Health & Community Health
- Promoting appropriate public health policy at the state and local level
- Working with public health agencies to combat public health threats
- Addressing public health concerns (examples: opioid abuse; end-of-life care; smoking; student health)
- Working with other state and local health care organizations to promote access to care (examples: Solano Coalition for Better Health; Napa Valley School Health Committee; Partnership Health Plan)
Promoting the Physician Community
- Bringing physicians together for networking and educational events locally and in statewide programs
- Promoting physician health and well-being through educational programs and support
- Supporting physicians-in-training through educational and scholarship programs
Practice Survival, Guidance, and Personal Support
- Providing direct assistance with practice management or payment recovery issues
- Providing guidance through "how-to" publications, seminars and webinars, and direct assistance
- Providing an extensive online library (over 6000 pages) of guidance on medical-legal, regulatory, practice management and a host of other issues affecting the practice of medicine
- Creating organizations to address key issues affecting physicians (examples: doctor-owned malpractice carriers; health care delivery plans; medical collection agencies; management services organizations)
- Providing group programs to address personal and professional needs (examples: Professional Liability insurance, Life, health and disability insurance; Workers’ Compensation Insurance; HIPAA compliance programs; HR management services; medical waste management svcs.)
- Members receive a free listing in the online NCMS-SCMS Physician Directory and its printed Membership Directory, as well as a free subscription to DocBookMD, a mobile application that allows you to look up physicians by name, specialty, or location, as well as hospitals and pharmacies in the area. DocBookMD allows you to HIPAA‐compliantly, bidirectionally communicate with photos with other members who have downloaded the app
Opportunity to Influence Health Care Policy
Through the local and state governance processes of NCMS, SCMS and the CMA, members have the ability to come together to develop well thought-out health care policy and then speak through a unified voice to policymakers and the public to make those policies a reality.
News and Information
Members stay informed about public health, practice management, healthcare reform, and other breaking health care news through NSCMS’ free member e‐bulletin and email blasts and CMA's online publications.
Physicians' Confidential Line
The Physician’s Confidential Line, (650) 756‐7787, is a 24‐hour phone service that provides support to physicians with alcohol/chemical dependency or mental/behavioral problems. This service is completely confidential and will not result in any form of disciplinary action or referral to any disciplinary body.
CMA’s Institute for Medical Quality provides a continuing medical education (CME) tracking service, which certifies physicians’ CME activity for credentialing purposes with the Medical Board of California, as well as hospitals, health plans, specialty societies, and others.
Medical School Debt Management: GL Advisor is a financial advisory firm that specializes in helping physicians effectively manage their medical school debt and other financial matters. Members receive a $50 discount on 12 months of service.
- Medical lnsurance Exchange of California (MIEC) is endorsed by SCMS and NCMS. It is the first doctor-owned professional liability insurance company formed during the 1975 "malpractice crisis" when commercial insurance carriers discontinued providing coverage to physicians. It is a physician-directed insurance company that provides economically priced malpractice coverage, vigorous defense of its physician-insureds, and support to address the challenges of medical practice. For information go to www.miec.com.
- Travel accident coverage through Prudential’s $100,000 Travel Accident Group Policy and Travel. Assistance Policy from AXA. This is a free benefit for NSCMS members.
- Medical, workers’ comp, long term disability, long term care, life, employment practice liability, and business overhead expense insurance.
- Auto and Homeowners Insurance: Members receive 10 percent off auto insurance from Mercury Insurance.
Health Information Technology
- HIT Resource Center: Up‐to‐date information on the CMA website for members on electronic health records, meaningful use, data privacy and security.
- Epocrates: Members get a discount on all Epocrates mobile and online products. Save 30 percent on subscriptions to Epocrates products such as the #1 rated Epocrates® Essentials. Epocrates provides point‐of‐care access (via mobile devices and the web) to information on drugs, diseases and diagnostics.
Other Supplies and Resources
- Staples: members receive discounts on office supplies and equipment from Staples, Inc.
- MedicAlert: MedicAlert is a nonprofit foundation with over 50 years of lifesaving experience identifying and providing vital medical information to emergency personnel for over 4 million members worldwide. Members and their patients save $10 on new adult enrollments and $2.95 on Kid Smart enrollments.
- Security Prescriptions: Members receive 15 percent off tamper‐resistant security prescription pads and printer paper from RxSecurity.
- Magazine Subscriptions: Members get 50 percent off subscriptions to hundreds of popular magazines from Subscription Services Inc.
- Car Rentals: Members save up to 25 percent on car rentals for business or personal travel from Avis and Hertz.
New Member Benefits are being added all the time! Why not take advantage?
Support the NCMS/SCMS by completing an online application today!